Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A new beginning, but one that is remarkably familiar

So, I'll try to keep this fairly concise since I'm due in to work tomorrow morning at 8am and it's nearly an hour drive to La Conner (yuck). I've been working at Wave cable/broadband now for a whole week, and to no one's surprise, it's almost the same thing that I was doing with Comcast for the last year and a half. I knock on doors and try to get people to add services or become new customers. It's pretty simple and not particularly exciting, though today I spent my afternoon on Blue Heron Dr. in Bow, WA looking across the bay towards Bellingham. It was beautiful. I also sold two telephones (Ka-ching! $100!), so that's always good.

Aside from work being work, life is treating us pretty well, all things considered. Although I understand how weird Lyzz feels staying at my parents' place for a while, it's kinda comforting to be back in the place I called home before I set out into the "real world" to be a "grown up" nearly a decade ago. In my near decade venturing forth into the wilds, I have come to realize that growing up pretty much sucks. Having to think about things like car insurance, medical insurance, car payments, cell phone bills, rent, gas money, power bills, grocery shopping, and all that is really not very exciting or interesting. Thank goodness for Lyzz. She keeps us both excited about life and its mysteries and adventures, while I keep us grounded when stress starts to catch up with us (or at least I hope that I manage that). Lucky for both of us, we're soon going to have a little reminder of what it means to be a kid again.

July 14th draws closer and I'm getting more and more impatient to know the gender of our bundle of joy. I honestly don't have a preference, but I do just really want to know what this new person is, that way I can decide whether to steal my little sister's old Barbies or root around in my closet and see how many old GI Joes I have left. Some people may think that getting gender neutral toys is important for teaching our child to be a balanced person or something like that (aka "wuss"), but I think that a little socially reinforced stereotypes of gender roles can be useful in showing a child how things are not. If my little girl wants the GI Joes and the BB gun, that's fine with me. And if my son wants to cook food, learn to sew, and all the other "girly" things that have been the social standard for generations then I have no problem with that. So long as it's their choice. I've spent 17+ years now doing something that I really love, Dungeons and Dragons, despite the fact that it has a less than stellar public image. We're not all basement dwelling mouth breathers who live on Cheetos and Mt. Dew (Dr. Pepper is way better), some of us are as "normal" as can be expected when the term has no real definition. I'm aware of what it's like to be seen as a little bit of an oddball, so I have no qualms about my child/children following their own interests and supporting them in their endeavors.

I'm not quite sure how I got onto the subject of my nerdiness, but I think my point has something to do with acceptance....or maybe it was about playing dinosaurs in the front yard with my kid. Whichever. I'll have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment